For the stew
900g / 21b diced stewing steak
4 onions - quartered
2 cloves garlic
8 chestnut mushrooms - quartered
1 tbs tomato puree
500ml / scant pt Black Isle beer
Salt and pepper
For the dumplings
150 g self raising flour
75 g shredded beef suet or grated lard or butter
1. Preheat oven 150C/130C fan/Gas 2
2. In a frying pan, brown the meat, a few pieces at a time, until coloured. Removing browned meat into an ANTA salad bowl.
3. When all the meat is browned add the onions to the pan, adding more oil if needed and cook for a few minutes, add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the onions begin to colour. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for a minute, add the beer and stir together, add the bay leaf and tomato puree and season, bring to the boil. Pour over the meat and mix together so the meat is fully coated.
4. Place an ANTA plate on the salad bowl and cook in the oven for about 2 - 2 ½ hours until the meat is tender.
5. Meanwhile, in a bowl add the flour, a pinch of salt and the suet, stir together.
6. Gradually add a few tablespoons of cold water then bring it together into a soft dough, first using a spoon then your hands. Add more water if needed.
Roll into round dumplings.
7. When the stew is cooked and the meat is tender, remove the plate from the salad bowl. Place the dumplings on top of the stew and place back into the oven. Cook for a further 20 minutes until the dumplings are golden brown.
8. Serve straight from the ANTA Salad bowl.