- 200g unsalted butter (at room temperature), plus extra for greasing
- 200 g demerara sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 200 g ground almonds
- 100 g coarse polenta
- 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 5 cardamom pods
- 250 ml orange juice , (from 3-4 oranges)
- 30 ml orange blossom water
- 125 g golden caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/gas 2½. Line a tin with greaseproof paper and grease with butter.
Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. Slowly beat in the eggs.
In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and mix with the butter, eggs and sugar.
Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes until the surface is light brown and the cake is coming away slightly from the sides of the tin.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin before turning out onto a plate being careful as the cake is very fragile.
To make the syrup, crush the cardamom pods with the back of a knife or a pestle and mortar. Add all of the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer until reduced and thicker.
Prick the cooled cake all over with a skewer, then brush generously with the syrup. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche or yoguhurt and an extra drizzle of syrup.