- 6 pears, any varient
- 120g brown sugar
- zest of 1 large orange
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 4 star anise
- 200ml Manzanilla sherry
- 200ml water
- Peel the pears leaving the stalk.
- In a large pan heat all the ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil.
- Add the pears and poach over a low heat for 15-20 minutes until the pears are soft. This will vary with how ripe your pears are.
- Remove the pears with a slotted spoon and bring the liquid to the boil again. Heat until thickened and reduced by half.
- Allow to cool slightly then pour over the pears and serve with whipped cream or ice-cream.